We are currently recruting for a Principal Consultant for an established startup company based in London, looking for someone that is open for remote work, please see below for more details:
You will play a critical role at the core of the engineering group, the current engineering group consists of 7 squads that appreciate shipping code fast. The idea is that you will play a key role in enabling more engineering efficient and improvement on the core architecture.
This will be an AWS-based cloud environment and deliver features using a continuous delivery approach. The platform is in the process of being migrated from Mesos to Kubernetes and all the deployments are either containerised services or native mobile apps. Prometheus, Thanos and Grafana are used for observability.
They are also migrating into an Event-Driven Architecture with Apache Kafka as its backbone and a polyglot mix of microservices designed following Domain-Driven Design principles.
They run a strong domain ownership model. As a Principal Engineer, you will be a trusted technical authority and someone who communicates to the domains a consistent strategic direction adhering to architecture blueprints and ensuring the highest quality implementation.
- Great team player with strong technical views focused on achieving best outcomes collaboratively
- Ability to influence very experienced engineering teams in adopting designs and implementing standards
- Strong expertise in designing, implementing and maintaining highly-scalable distributed systems
- A good understanding of CI/CD pipelines and automated testing
- Experience with cloud platforms, ideally AWS, and containerisation tools such as Docker
- Passion for quality and observability, an ability to understand complex systems and a desire to constantly make things better.
- Lead cross-team working groups to champion standards, improve engagement and collaboration and drive enhancements
- Passionate about technology with a strong record of delivering world-class technology in a tech-led space
- Previous experience with one or more of the following: Distributed systems (designing, managing, failures, testing), JVM based languages (Java, Kotlin), SQL and NoSQL databases (MySQL, DynamoDB, Redis, etc), Cloud experience or Data modelling (OLTP)
- Previous experience with one or more of the following: Kubernetes and Cloud-Native, Kafka, Kafka Streams, Kafka Connect, Serverless, Event-Driven Architecture, Spring & Spring Boot ecosystem or Domain-driven design
- Knowledge of monitoring, metrics and Site Reliability Engineering principals
- Use of agile/lean methodologies for continuous delivery and improvement
- Understanding of application security standards
- Experience of public speaking (can be company internal)
Essential skills: Java, Cloud, Kubernetes, Event Driven (Architecture), Microservices, (Streaming – Kafka OR Security – Cyber), (coaching OR mentoring), Stakeholders Management, Good communication skills
Desirable skills: Public Speaking, GraphQL, Serverless, React
Responsibilities: Help company to be more engineering efficient, improvement on core architecture. Exposure to senior leadership team – would need to explain why/if/when change is needed and give reason for previous tech/process decision in the name of improvement (this is called devX – developer experience, google it). Lots of collab with squads (there are 7), often open conversations/transparency. 10% writing code 90% solving business problems (tech & non-tech) but that can change depending on priorities
Type of profile needed: Technical and business-minded, with good communication and collaborative friendly
What make this a great role: Working across all engineering teams to improve efficiency. Will be exposed to problems for the entire engineering group. eg: frontend, backend, data, infrastructure. Have a seat at the table with the product team, be a point of contact with product for new feature, products and workflows
You must sign in to apply for this position.